Monday, July 1, 2013

Another Whisper

It's been awhile since I last wrote.  There's been a lot going on since I last wrote.  Did I say a lot?  I mean a TON!  But no matter what is going on in our lives, God always seems to whisper, "Hey you, I'm still here."

This last week I spent at Creation North East - a very LARGE Christian Music festival in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania with 9 wonderful people - 9 of my co-workers.

Festivals are always fun and interesting and they always leave a mark on my heart.  This year, it left a different mark.  The first few days of Creation, I saw a number of people walking around in t-shirts that said "LOVE" but instead of an "O" there was an outline of Africa.  I really liked the shirts and wanted to find out more, so when I got a few minutes I ventured up to the merch barn to ask about the shirts.  They are made by an organization called Krochet Kids International.  I figured since there was a giant print of Africa on the shirt, the organization helped somewhere in Africa.  Yep.  I was right.  Uganda is somewhere in Africa.  UGANDA!  I purchased a shirt for Mike and myself.

After leaving the Krochet Kids merch table, I started walking back to my work's setup at the festival and walked past the Operation Christmas Child table so I decided to stop and chat for a second.   Since returning from the Dominican Republic with OCC last December, there's a special place in my heart for that organization.  I chatted with the OCC staff that was there and they handed me an envelope of a picture from one of their recent distributions - a photo of a little boy gripping on to his shoe box in UGANDA.  I got Godbumps.  (aka Goosebumps but God arranged.)

I couldn't wait to tell a few of my co-workers about what had happened - one of which, I've now found out, has a very similar passion for Uganda.  It was just what I needed.  I needed a few more signs from God to let me know Uganda is not out of the picture for Mike and I.

Sunday afternoon, as we were walking into the airport in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania, we noticed a group of people gathered together with balloons, cameras, a lot of inter-racial families (some very ADORABLE kiddos) signs that said "welcome home," and a bunch of smiles.  I looked at one of my co-workers just as we were both thinking out loud "I wonder if they are welcoming home an adoptee?"  We walked past them, through security, and into a place to eat.  But my mind was still wondering about that group.

Just as we were sitting down to eat, I noticed two ladies and a child walk past us - the child was waving a flag from Ethiopia.  I mentioned to my co-workers that I bet that child is going to the group waiting on the other side of security, so I walked over to the window in the restaurant that overlooked security and the group waiting to see if they would greet one another.  They did.  It was beautiful.  I had tears in my eyes.  I can only imagine the tears that were in the eyes of the people in that group... the tears in the eyes of the family who just welcomed home their newest family member... the happy tears in the eyes of God.  It made me want to jump on a plane at the airport and head to Uganda.

Thank you, God, for yet another whisper from you about Uganda.

2 comments:

Sarah Derringer said...

So cool!

Sharon said...

Can't wait to see what God has in store. I LOVE krochet kids! I've followed this blog off and on for a couple years-the couple runs Peru's krochet kids. http://goodfellowfamily.blogspot.com/