Tuesday, February 5, 2013

God of Angel Armies

For 3 years now, I've been reading Sarah Young's "Jesus Calling" Devotional. Each day there is a different message, and I continue to be amazed, even though I've already read the entire devotional 2 times, that I can re-read February 5th today and have it speak to me completely different than it did on February 5 of last year.

"SEEK MY FACE, and you will find not only My Presence but also My Peace.  To receive My Peace, you must change your grasping, controlling stance to one of openness and trust.  The only thing you can grasp without damaging your soul is My hand.  Ask My Spirit within you to order your day and control your thoughts, for the mind controlled by the Spirit is Life and Peace.

You can have as much of Me and My Peace as you want, through thousands of correct choices each day.  The most persistent choice you face is whether to trust Me or to worry.  You will never run out of things to worry about, but you can choose to trust Me no matter what.  I am an ever-present help in toruble.  Trust Me, through the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea."

But it doesn't stop there.  After sharing today's devotion with my co-worker, she opened up her daily devotion from Go Tandem and the topic?  "Slacken My Grip."  (I'm getting the feeling God wants me to give up control of something...)

Both devotions referred to Psalm 46:
"God is a safe place to hide,
ready to help when we need him.
We stand fearless at the cliff-edge of doom,
courageous in seastorm and earthquake,
Before the rush and roar of oceans,
the tremors that shift mountains.
Jacob-wrestling God fights for us,
God-of-Angel-Armies protects us.
River fountains splash joy, cooling God’s city,
this sacred haunt of the Most High.
God lives here, the streets are safe,
God at your service from crack of dawn.
Godless nations rant and rave, kings and kingdoms threaten,
but Earth does anything he says.
Jacob-wrestling God fights for us,
God-of-Angel-Armies protects us.
Attention, all! See the marvels of God!
He plants flowers and trees all over the earth,
Bans war from pole to pole,
breaks all the weapons across his knee.
“Step out of the traffic! Take a long,
loving look at me, your High God,
above politics, above everything.”
Jacob-wrestling God fights for us,
God-of-Angel-Armies protects us."
And after reading that, I had another "Are you serious God?" moment... because one of my favorite songs on the radio right now comes straight from that passage... a song that I've heard a few times already this morning at work - Chris Tomlin's "Whom Shall I Fear (God of Angel Armies)"

So today, I'm laying down what I think I'm having control issues over, and giving it all to God.  God's Angel Armies (including my nephew Sam) are always by my side.


No comments: