Monday, October 1, 2012

Firebird

We all collect things - Baseball cards, Barbies, Precious Moments, Frogs, Pillow Pets, etc... I have a unique collection that I started when I was in high school and continue to add to it today:  Children's Books.

I can remember spending hours at Little Professor Books or Anchor Room in Fort Wayne looking through all the children's books.  I do feel like I should say the books I collect aren't your everyday children's picture books;  they are children's books that carry a message with beautiful illustrations.  

A few weeks ago, I received a copy of a children's book that I've had my eye on for a couple of months now: "Firebird" by Brent McCorkle and Amy Parker.  


I first learned about this book this summer when I attended a private screening for the new film "Unconditional."  The lead character in "Unconditional" is a children's book author and illustrator.  From when she was a child, she had been drawing a bird character and always intended to write a book about the bird, but as she grew older, a very traumatic situation caused her to walk away from illustrating and writing.  After running into an old friend, she found inspiration again to illustrate and write, and finally put to paper the story of the bright orange baby oriole, Firebird.

Much like the character in "Unconditional", Firebird finds out that God's love, no matter what you're going through in life, is always there - constant and unchanging. Sometimes you have to deal with the storms of life, but if you don't give up and keep going, the clouds will break and you'll see the beautiful glow of sunshine - God's unfailing love.

The message of the book, while an adult can appreciate it, is written so a child can understand it.  I think I'll be purchasing a few additional copies to share with our nieces and nephews.  

No comments: